If you are a Christian or just a person who feels like they need God in their life, you’ve probably felt empty at one point. Maybe it’s when you lose a loved one or when something tragic happens. Or maybe it’s because the people around you are acting weird and making you feel like there’s something wrong with your faith. I’ve been there too—it sucks! But there are things we can do to help ourselves through these hard times so we don’t get stuck feeling empty forever. Here are some ways I’ve learned how to move past those feelings of emptiness:
What To Do When You Feel Empty As A Christian
1. Read your Bible.
If you feel empty as a Christian, you might be tempted to read the Bible in hopes of feeling better. But this can backfire. The truth is, the Bible wasn’t written to make us happy. It was written to show us what God is like and how we can have a relationship with him.
So instead of reading your Bible looking for answers, try reading it looking for God himself. As you read each story and verse with an open heart and mind (and even if they don’t make sense), he will reveal himself to you—you’ll begin to see him everywhere: in nature, history, art…even social justice movements like Black Lives Matter!
2. Surround yourself with godly people.
Many times, feeling empty as a Christian is due to the fact that we’re not surrounding ourselves with other believers. It’s important to have a community of believers who can give you feedback and encouragement in your walk with Christ. Not only will they help keep you accountable, but they’ll also be there when you need someone to talk to about the things that are on your mind.
If you don’t have anyone else in your life who shares the same beliefs as you, consider getting involved with a small group or church family so that you can form relationships with people who share similar experiences. If none of those options seem right for you, then consider finding a mentor at church or through one of the many organizations out there designed specifically for this purpose (like Young Life).
3. Remember the Gospel.
The gospel is the good news that we are saved by grace through faith in Jesus Christ. The word “gospel” literally means “good news.” The gospel is not just one thing, but rather it is composed of four main parts:
- Jesus died for our sins (1 Corinthians 15:3-4)
- Jesus was raised from the dead on Easter Sunday (Matthew 28:6-7; 1 Corinthians 15:4)
- Jesus will come again at his second coming (Revelation 19:11-16)
- You must accept this free gift of salvation by believing in your heart and confessing with your mouth that Jesus Christ is Lord to be saved (Romans 10:9-10; Acts 16:31).
Prayer is another way to fill your soul. The Bible says that God’s people are called to pray without ceasing. So, if you don’t feel like praying, then do it!
Here’s a list of ways to pray:
- Pray directly to God, praising Him and thanking Him for all His good gifts.
- Pray in the name of Jesus Christ, asking Jesus and the Holy Spirit for help and guidance in your life (it’s OK if you don’t know how).
- Pray in the name of Father, Son, and Holy Spirit (i.e., “in the name”). This is helpful if you find yourself repeating certain phrases over and over again when talking with God because at least they’re not likely to be forgotten as much as they would have been otherwise!
5. Serve someone else.
When you feel empty as a Christian, serve someone else. Find something to do for someone else that has nothing to do with you or your own agenda.
If you’re not sure where to start, pick something that is easy and won’t take up too much time:
- Pray for someone who has asked you to pray for them. You can also pray simply by saying the Lord’s Prayer out loud or just thinking it in your head.
- Help an elderly person cross the street if they seem like they need help crossing some sort of road (not just while driving). It doesn’t matter if they live next door or across town—just offer your help!
- Bring a meal to someone who may be sick or on bed rest due to illness or surgery recovery time period. If there are no immediate family members available, call one of those organizations like Meals On Wheels that deliver food directly into people’s homes so they don’t have to worry about cooking meals from scratch all day long!
6. Remind yourself of God’s promises.
It is essential to remind yourself of God’s promises because they are always true, always good, and always for you. No matter what situation you find yourself in, God has a promise that will meet your needs. There is no situation where God cannot give us the strength to overcome it. When you feel empty as a Christian, it may be helpful to remember these truths:
- God’s promises are always true (Jeremiah 1:12). Our Lord never fails us; He is faithful even when we are unfaithful (Hebrews 10:23).
- God’s promises are always good (Romans 8:28). His lovingkindness is new every morning (Lamentations 3:22-23), so our situation can change just like the sun rises every day!
- God’s promises are always for your benefit (Proverbs 12:5). The plans He has for us are designed with our best interests in mind—and those plans include His grace and forgiveness for past sins!
7. Remembering the basics of Christianity can help you feel full again.
If you feel empty as a Christian, there are some things you can do to make yourself feel full again.
The first thing to remember is that all of this emptiness is not real. It’s just an illusion caused by your own mind, and it doesn’t have any power over you unless you let it. So when this feeling comes up, realize that it’s not real and try to ignore it as much as possible.
The second thing to remember is that the basic teachings of Christianity still apply in every situation—even when they seem like they shouldn’t. Jesus’ words still hold true today: “Love one another as I have loved you” (John 13:34). Love is still the greatest commandment (Matthew 22:37-40). And God loves us unconditionally (1 John 4:7-11). Remembering these things can help us stay focused on the truth no matter how we’re feeling at the time.
The third thing we need to remember is that even though we might be tempted by other things in life—like fame or money or sex—God has given us something better than those things: Himself! If He gives us anything else before giving Himself, then He isn’t really giving us anything at all! When we give ourselves away for His sake instead of our own selfish desires, then we will be filled with joy once again from being able to serve Him without losing ourselves along the way
If you’re feeling empty as a Christian, the first thing you should do is talk to God. Prayer is the most important thing you can do when you’re feeling down and empty. Talk to God about what you’re feeling and ask Him for help. He wants to hear from you and He wants to help.
Another thing you can do is read your Bible or a devotional. Reading the Word of God will fill you with hope and encouragement. It will help you remember the promises and truths of God’s Word, and it will help you refocus on Him.
Surround yourself with other Christians. Spend time with people who will encourage you and remind you of who God is. You can also join a Bible study or a small group. This will give you an opportunity to learn more about God, and to be encouraged and supported by other believers.
Finally, take time to rest and relax. Spend time in nature and enjoy the beauty of God’s creation. Take a break from your busy life and spend some time being still and listening to God. He will fill you with peace and joy if you just take the time to listen.
When you’re feeling empty, remember that God is always with you. He never leaves you, and He is always ready to help. With these things in mind, you can be sure that God will fill you up and give you the strength and courage you need to move forward.