When you are experiencing mental illness, it is easy to feel like you cannot think of the right words to say. However, there are many prayers that can help you put your thoughts into words and find comfort in God. Here are some prayers for mental illness that will help you start your day off right and ask for strength to get through difficult times.
Powerful Prayers For Mental Illness
1. Prayer For Peace In The Mind
Prayer for peace in the mind:
- Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me. In your name, I ask that you grant me peace and calm my troubled mind. I know that I can never be at peace while there is turmoil in my heart; as such, grant me a calmness of mind so that I may find true rest. Amen.*
- Prayer for peace in the soul:
- God our Father in Heaven, hallowed be thy name! Thy kingdom come! Thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven! Give us this day our daily bread; forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us; lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil; for thine is the kingdom, and the power and glory forever and ever! Amen.*
2. Prayer For Acceptance Of One’s Mental Illness
Acceptance of one’s mental illness is the first step to recovery. It is not the same as giving up on life and it is not the same as giving up on God. Acceptance means that you know what you have and that you understand how it works, but at the same time, knowing your limitations will allow you to focus on what needs to be done for treatment.
Acceptance allows us all to move forward with our lives, knowing that we have help available if needed at any time throughout our journey.
3. A Prayer for Healing of Mental Illness For Self
- Prayer for Healing of Mental Illness For Self
- Prayer for Peace in the Mind
- Prayer for Acceptance of One’s Mental Illness
- Prayer for Healing of Mental Illness for Self
- Prayer for Healing of Mental Illness for Friends/Family
- Prayer For Those Seeking Understanding
4. A Prayer for Healing of Mental Illness For Friends/Family
- Pray that the person will be healed and that their healing will be complete and lasting.
- Pray for the family of the person suffering from mental illness. Wherever possible, try to make contact with them and let them know you are praying for them; this can be especially helpful if they are unable to care for themselves or their loved ones due to grief or other reasons. You may also want to make arrangements with your church leadership or another trusted person in your community who can help coordinate meals, transportation, emotional support groups, or other services so that they stay strong even when they’re overwhelmed by their situation.
- Pray for friends of those affected by mental illness as well—they might not know how best to respond or what resources are available in their area, so keep these things in mind when offering encouragement and support during difficult times.
5. A Prayer for Those Seeking Understanding
Prayer for Understanding
A Prayer for Those Seeking Understanding
Lord, I pray that you will help me to understand the ways of mental illness. Help me to understand how it feels so that I can be a better friend and support person, especially when things get difficult. Show me how best to care for those struggling through this illness, so that they may find peace and healing even as they walk their journey with you.
I pray this in Your name, Jesus Christ. Amen
6. A Prayer For Resources, Treatment, and Medical Interventions
Prayer is a powerful force that can help us cope with mental illness. We have so much to be thankful for and should always keep our focus on what we have.
It is important to pray for those who are suffering from mental illness, for yourself, and even for those who do not believe in God or prayer. It does not matter if you are religious or not; prayers help us heal our hearts and minds during difficult times.
If you are struggling with a mental illness then it is essential that you find the right treatment options that work best for your needs.
I hope these prayers will help guide you through this difficult time in your life!
7. Praying helps a lot
Praying has helped me a lot. It helps me to feel better, more connected to God, and more connected to others, and it also helps me be in tune with myself and the world around me.
I started praying about two months ago when I was diagnosed with mental illness. I had never prayed before but as soon as I began doing so I could feel a great difference in my life. There were so many things that used to make me upset or nervous that didn’t anymore because when we pray we are given hope from God!
I hope these prayers for mental health will help you or someone you love. Though we can’t always know what God is doing, we can trust that he is good and sovereign over all things. If you are struggling with depression, anxiety, or any other mental health condition, I encourage you to seek the Lord in prayer and also talk with your doctor about ways to get help. In my book, “How to Handle Depression: A Christian Perspective on Integrating Psychology and Theology” I outline how we can find hope and healing through Scripture and therapy.